Sunday, October 3, 2010

Boiled Peanuts

When I was growing up, anytime we went anywhere north of our town we always stopped to get boiled peanuts from a man on the side of the highway...

Once in a while we would have them at home but they always seemed to taste better from the old man's big pot on the side of the road..
I have learned that this is very much a regional food since I've never had them anywhere but Mississippi or Alabama....
I saw a bag of raw peanuts in the grocery store the other day and decided I needed to cook some...

Boiled Peanuts

Raw Peanuts
Water to cover
Salt to taste - you want them pretty salty...
Boil for a long time... all day... maybe a little longer...till peanuts are tender.






In case you new to boiled peanuts, the appropriate way to eat them is to put the peanut in your mouth and open it with your teeth while sucking out the salty water, eat the nuts and throw away the shell... they are good warm or cold...

You should try this Mississippi delicacy.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I can also vouch for the fact that you can get them in Georgia and Tennessee!