Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas time

The girls and I drove to Dallas on the 22nd. Jennifer arranged for several of my friends to go to the Melting Pot for dinner and it was absolutely my favorite evening of the holidays. We were there for about four hours eating and drinking and visiting... I loved it! I felt like we ran full speed the rest of the time we were there. I had another friend in town I didn't get to see and just hated that, there is always too much to do and not enough time!

We ran between my family and Mike's doing Christmas. We love the big get together with Mike's aunts, uncles and cousins. Every year I'm amazed at how big our kids have gotten and we that soon we'll be at the 'old people table' while our kids are the young adults... These first cousins have had their picture together every Christmas since birth... the last couple of years we have documented who has the most hair left...You know there always has to be a few odd moments in every family get together. Mike's mom invited his dad (divorced 30ish years) over for Christmas day... we rarely see him and he always brings us a random assortment of gifts. This year he gave me a lovely faux wood, mantle clock with the Lord's super on it. I guess knowing I go to church, that seemed the obvious gift...Look out, you to may get to enjoy this as I feel sure I'll need to re-gift that...

Christmas eve morning Mike's uncle passed away. I was just sick that he didn't live till after Christmas but the family really had such a sweet evening together, we all went to church together and I decided maybe it wasn't so sad he died at Christmas... we were all home, we all got to be with his wife and kids and what a peaceful time of year... what better time for him to go home to Jesus than at Christmas.

My kids had never been to a funeral with the body there so this led to many questions... after the visitation we went to dinner with a few friends which included the funeral director, I was afraid the girls were going to quiz him at dinner....after the service and burial was over the little girl talking about Mike being a pallbearer commented that "... the graveside service really isn't necessary... I think they just want someone to come carry the casket..." She isn't going to be short of opinions!

We got home about midnight last night, we still have stuff everywhere and the girls are fighting over gifts as usual, fighting over who gets the drums or the microphone... home sweet home.





No comments: