Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A couple of new favorites

Last week when the sister and family were coming in I tried a couple of new recipes. 

The first recipe I had at my sweet friend Jennifer's house when I visited in June and was waiting for a crowd to make it for....
She served it for dinner one night while I was there...
When she described what we were having,  I didn't get very excited.  But when I had them... they are magical little sandwiches!



Ham and Cheese Rolls

1 1/2 sticks butter
2 tbsp dry mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp poppy seeds
1/2 onion chopped very fine
1 lb deli ham
1 lb Swiss cheese
2 packages Hawaiian rolls

Melt butter and add next 4 ingredients.  Whisk.
Cut rolls in half and place ham and cheese on each roll and place on baking sheet.  Drizzle butter mixture over all the rolls.
Bake at 350 for 15 min.


I'm usually not a huge sandwich fan but pouring that buttery mixture over these makes them like no other sandwich I've had... Quick, easy, casual, feeds a lot of people...


The second recipe I had seen on a web site  I frequent and had also been waiting for people to make it for... I've discovered now though, that I may just make this for me.  All the time.  And eat them all myself....

Bacon Peach Pinwheels

4 oz. blue cheese, plus more for garnish, crumbled
1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese, room temperature
8 slices of bacon
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup peach preserves
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 8 oz. pkg. refrigerated crescent dough
1/3 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped ( I forgot these and it still was great)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Thinly sliced green onions


In a small bowl beat cheeses on medium to high until fluffy.
In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. Reserve 1 Tablespoon drippings in skillet; cook and stir onion in drippings over medium heat until tender. Remove pan from heat; stir in preserves, dried basis and vinegar. Set aside.


Unroll dough and press 2 triangles together at seam to create a rectangle.   On each rectangle spread a third of the cheese mixture to within 1/4 " of one long side.  Spread preserve mixture over cheese. Top with bacon and pecans. Beginning at a long side roll up each rectangle. Press seams to seal. With a serrated knife cut each roll in slices.  place cut side down on baking sheet.  I put parchment paper down or spay with Pam. 

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm. Top with blue cheese crumbles and green onion.


I made one without onion or Blue Cheese for Jennifer and Kellie...

The original recipe places the preserve mixture over the cooked roll ups but I put it inside and it made them extra gooey and yummy...


They are wonderful.  Even left over and cold... there was only one left over and cold, but it was good!  They were a hit!



3 comments:

Michelle said...

OOOh! I love those little ham and cheese sandwiches! They're the BOMB! Everytime my friend Sharon has any kind of party, I BEG her to make them!
Y'all gettin ready to go back to school? oops...just said a badword! hee hee

Mary Bergfeld said...

Those sandwiches look delicious and I love that they are so easy to do. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Lori @ Projects Plenty said...

I agree with Mary... those sandwiches look great. I LOVE hawaiian rolls...just the right amount of sweetness. Thanks for the recipes and visiting my blog.