Saturday, August 28, 2010

A new year

I cannot believe how smoothly the start to a new school year has gone.

The middle school girl has adjusted well and found her classes without a problem.  She didn't even die during athletics like she feared.... I think she'll make it...

The high school kid is also transitioning great.  Her only complaint is that her computer class she has to take....She is the only freshman in the class and she hates not knowing anyone...
She was telling me that they had to make something on the computer and had to use about 20 words to describe themselves....
One of the boys in the class used words including :  Baby Daddy and Trouble Maker... he went on to explain that he's about to be a daddy...
Great.  Just great... Not only are there two pregnant girls walking around, now there are also some proud "baby daddy's" there too...
If I could do math I would home school that girl!

My year is off to a very smooth start.  I've had less medication and medical problems presented in the nurses office than on other years... Maybe I've just got a group of parents that are waiting on me to find the problems...

The dogs are the only ones not adjusting to the early morning schedule...


To me life has always run on a school year calendar... even before I worked in schools my best friends were teachers so I planned vacations and such around them...
Instead of the New Year being when I feel like we are off to fresh start, I feel that way in Aug.

I have started the new school year trying to start some good habits...
  • Getting up early for quite/Bible time before starting the day...

  • Mike and I are doing "The Love Dare" book... 
On the first day of school I left it in the bathroom with a note that I was going to read it and try to do the assignment everyday and that I would leave it out if he wanted to read the days assignments also.  That night he brought it up and said he wanted to do it... Of course, we're on day 6 and I'm still waiting on him to read day 4....

  • Walking every day

  • Trying to have a dinner plan and not eat out everyday... I hope I can stay on track with that after dance starts for the girls every night soon...
I'm enjoying our first weekend off.... Katie and I are about to go to a local church to hear a mathematician/ scientist discuss what the teachers are telling our kids wrong in science class...

How was your back to school week?

1 comment:

Jennifer Owens said...

I'm curious how the love dare thing will go. Keep us posted. (o:

Todd and I have limited our eating out because of money and not schedule, but it's totally doable. Just have a lot of quick meal things on hand at home. I have a few things that I can throw together and be done in under 30 minutes.

I'm trying to walk every day too. Though it's easier said than done - especially in the heat.

Glad things are off to a smooth start for you! (o: