Friday, May 27, 2011

Rome- I didn't want to come home....

I keep thinking about what I want to write about the trip to Rome and I still don't know!
It still seems a little unreal. 
Does that sound crazy?
I know I was there
I know I enjoyed every minute of it
I know I came back with the pictures
but yet, it still seems a little like a dream..

Let me tell you all about it...or at least the first day or so...

I flew Lubbock to Dallas Tuesday morning...
Jennifer picked me up at the airport and took me to a favorite restaurant for lunch (Blue Mesa!)
We ran a couple of errands and then my sister took us to the airport.
We flew for a verrrrrry long time to Madrid.  I could not sleep on the plane.  I tried but just couldn't....
I watched a lot of other people sleep well...
Navigated a very confusing Madrid airport, changed planes and were soon in Rome...

We were greeted by a driver holding up a sign for us...
He took our luggage and walked VERY fast even with our bags...
That was just a preview for the really fast driving he was about to do...

He drove us to the perfect little hotel... Komen had made our reservation at Roma Boutique Hotel.

It was absolutely perfect for our stay... it was in an old building where they changed a floor into a small hotel with only 7 rooms....


It was right across from the American embassy also which made us feel safe.
Except for the very first day when we left the hotel and blaring from loud speakers inside the gates of the embassy was the message "Take cover.  This is an emergency.... Take cover"
We looked at each other, debated if we should be concerned and kept on going... hopefully it was just a drill or a mistake cause if it was a real emergency, we missed it...
We stopped for a snack on the way to our Vatican after hours tour....



I can't even begin to tell you how good that cheese was...



We made it to the Vatican, took the tour and learned more than any Baptist girl ever needed to know about the Vatican and all of it's Pope's...

Our tour guide had more knowledge of the vast amount of art there than we could have ever absorbed.


(I don't recall what this was but I believe she looked like the witch from Snow White to me...)
Our two hour tour turned to three and half and ended in with Jennifer possibly being in a little trouble for sitting on the steps of the Sistine chapel...and they don't let you take pictures in there...

We found a taxi after a bit of a search and soon fell into (a very hard) bed unconscious...

My favorite thing about the hotel was that they brought you a tray every morning. 

I'm still having withdrawals from the cappucinno and pastries being delivered every morning....

Tomorrow I will tell you about day 2...

No comments: