Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rome, the rest of the story

I was thinking I would spare you some of the Rome story... except that I have two things I want to share and then there are others along the way, so you might want to get a drink or snack for this....

Remember, I won this trip?  Well we did go and meet and the sweetest lady with Susan G. Komen Roma and she showed us all around, got us tickets to the VIP tent and then had a photographer take a picture of us with her... The problem with this is that we had been sight seeing and I don't feel we looked that part of the very grateful winners that we are.  We might have looked a little hot and sweaty instead...
She promised to share that picture when she gets it... I can hardly wait...

Speaking of that, I told Jennifer tonight that I took about a million great pictures of her but I must have been on a different trip because I don't think any of the pictures of me were good at all...
I believe that is directly related to the humid hair issues I was having...

But, back to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure...

This is crowds pouring out of the Metro stop going to the race...It was very impressive...

maybe it wasn't the hair but the cross body purse in every picture that made me look bad...
We wrote the names of our survivor friends on the wall

This is Barbara, the local Komen person...we were just hunting a bottle of water when we decided to check out the VIP tent...little did we know that there was champagne, fancy food, pastries, and even a famous Italian actress in there...
It was a huge crowd, the walk was all through downtown Rome... pretty amazing...

We then hopped on the Metro and a trip through the burbs later we arrived at the Mediterranean Sea...
Jennifer just wanted to put her feet in the water...

We took the train back, where we learned dogs can also take the train... just FYI

A tour of a church decorated with Monk's bones, getting caught in the rain, a little wine and cheese,
a great dessert

                                       and soaking my feet in a bidet brought a close to day three...

Our last day, we headed to Orvieto...
Jennifer needed something a little more than the croissant that morning and found some chicken nuggets for the ride



the view is amazing and this is the most picture perfect town I have ever seen

And the whole town revolves around the Duomo... it is said that this church is so beautiful it will be part of rapture too...







This is the best roasted pork in the world along with a wonderful wine

that we ate at this little cafe... do you see our waitress heading inside?
If I'm ever missing, try here...I've read that no outsiders move to this town other than for short stays... that it is a very closed community... but I'm pretty sure I could worm my way in...maybe I could be the town nurse or something...everyone could visit me under that umbrella...



We grabbed a couple of pastries and left my new favorite town where I want to move and headed back...

I was very sad but we had to do it...

We went to St Peter's Basilica in the late afternoon...


there was a Mass going on back there


We stopped for dinner where I'm pretty sure Franck from 'Father of the Bride' was our waiter...it was the most fun meal we had on the trip!


He offered to take our picture but didn't give me time to change the setting for him so we're a little out of focus...


It was the perfect final meal in Rome...

The whole trip just flew by...
I'm ready to go back...
Come see me in Orvieto when I move...

P.S.
I found out today that Ask.com was the sponser who made our trip possible...
I am very very grateful to them!



No comments: