Monday, September 3, 2012

Lunches

One of my goals for this school year is to get us all to take our lunch more often.
Remember last week when I mentioned the salads in a jar...
Well, the were great! 
Thank you Pinterest and The Big Red Kitchen!
They stayed so fresh and were yummy so I made a new batch for this week!
I made southwest salads and oriental salads...


Southwest Salad
I layered:  Spicy Ranch in the bottom, chopped chicken, chopped tomatoes, black beans, corn, cheese and lettuce on top of all of that.  Then I remembered the chopped bacon and threw that in...
I have a little bag of spicy tortilla strips to add in when I eat it.
My friend Kim was the creative idea behind this one.

 
Oriental Salad
 
 
For the dressing:  1/3 cup Rice vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup oil, and one seasoning packet from Oriental flavor Ramen noodles.  Put all ingredients into a jar and shake well.  Makes enough for 3 pint jar salads.
 
Layer:  Dressing on bottom, chopped chicken, chopped cabbage, chopped green onions, and Mandarin oranges.
 
Toast slivered or sliced almonds along with the noodles (broken up) from the package of Ramen noodles.  Divide these into three baggies to top salad with.
 
 
I'm not sure which salad is my favorite!  But glad to have lunches already made and handy. 
 
We enjoyed our long weekend!  Now, remind me why don't we have Monday off every week?
 
 






2 comments:

Jennifer Owens said...

I've been wondering if those salads in a jar would be any good - glad to see someone tried them - I might have to give them a whirl now! (o:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is such a great idea! The salads look wonderful and they will be crisp because of the layering. Kudos. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary