Monday, August 10, 2009

Christmas in August

Jennifer just got back from Guatemala. I'm so proud that she gets to go on this mission trip every year. Not just for the orphans but for the goodness she brings home to us. No. really. I'm very glad she goes and volunteers, gifts are just a nice perk!

She brought me this beautiful cross...
She brought me this cute satchel (Indiana Jones carries one)...It is made out of burlap and I am all about burlap these days...And she brought me coffee...I can't wait to try it in the morning.
And she brought me my second annual hand carved Nativity scene. Last years was bigger. This years is a petite nativity. There is a person in the nativity that looks like a girl with a back pack. I'm not sure who she is or what her roll in the birth of Jesus was, but she showed up this year...guess I'll let her stay...So, after all the wonderful goodies it almost seemed like Christmas in August. Well, except for the 95 degree day. And the bored kids. If it was Christmas they would be entertained for a little bit longer than they were today.
Today, when they didn't get to go anywhere and we had already played 10 games of Yahtzee, they found a pack of construction paper and had a contest to see who could make the longest paper chain.
It was officially a tie. Really it was. One child wanted to challenge my ruling. If only we had a Christmas tree up to decorate with all the colorful paper.I guess even the dogs are bored. They spent some quality time playing in the piles of paper.

Guess I better get them some more construction paper for the days I'm working. I think it's time for them to go back to school. Not me. Just the kids. I wasn't so bored I was making paper chains. If I was that bored I could finish the laundry. Or clean the car out. Or bath the dogs.... Wonder why other people in our house would ignore all of those things and see paper chains as a productive project...

Tomorrow I'm going to finish all those chores while I pout and fuss. I start school on Wed.

No comments: