Saturday, July 17, 2010

I'm really really grateful but I'm running out of ideas...

My sweet neighbor has brought more and more and more squash.  I am grateful but out of ideas on what to do with all of it now.

I'm feeling a little Bubba Gump-ish...
I've made squash casseroles from a couple of different recipes, sauteed squash, sliced breaded squash, squash bread, squash blueberry muffins, given away some of the squash, taken casseroles to two people and still have squash...I delivered a plate of warm muffins and a squash casserole to the sweet neighbors who probably did not want another thing made of squash!


I'll be excited when they start having some other vegetables coming in! 

My favorite of the day:



Squash Bread or Muffins

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups shredded yellow squash
3 cups self rising flour
2 tsp cinn.
2 tsp vanilla
nuts optional

Mix eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla with whisk.   Add other ingredients.  Mix with spoon.

Optional topping:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 stick softened butter
crumble together with fork and sprinkle over top of muffins before baking



Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes for a loaf or 30 to 35 minutes for muffins.

I mixed fresh blueberries into the muffins and used the topping. YUM.  They are very good.  Mike decided he likes the squash bread better than zucchini bread...



And while we were playing games I ate a wonderful blueberry squash muffin my girls ate bagels... typical...


1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Kids will be kids :-). Your muffins sound terrific. I'm assuming that, at least as far as flavor is concerned, green squash can be substituted. I hope the day treats you well. Blessings...Mary