Sunday, July 4, 2010

The summer of bracelets

While we were at Kamp Katie and I both learned a new bracelet making skill...
Let me tell you about my new bracelet skill -
Our wonderful nurse helper Emily had learned to make "Survivor Bracelets" the week before from one of the previous nurses and shared her new talent with us...
The story is that they are made out of parachute cord which is very strong and if made correctly and if you were out in the wild or in some sort of survival emergency, you could simply un-braid your bracelet and have a long piece of rope to save yourself with.
I really don't foresee any emergency where a piece of parachute cord may be necessary for my rescue or survival.
And, it's a good thing since Emily taught me to make them using 2 pieces of cord rather than one really long one....
So, if I find myself in a dreaded predicament, I would only be able to use my bracelet as shoe laces or maybe to tie a pretty bow on a present at the last minute...


It's a very technical process of macrame knots I learned in the 70's
burning the rope is a little scary though




Katie learned some new braiding trick to turn basic DMC floss into a cute braided strand... she has been making them non stop since she came home...

they are the ones below the peace sign and above the Silly bands... covering most of her arm seems to be the goal this summer...

Note the bracelet Elvis is sporting... no one is going to miss out on the trend...

On a more important note, Kellie seems to be close to turning the corner...
The tonsillectomy has been really tough... today is the first day she has been up for any length of time and actually asked for soup. 
She has yet to try a Popsicle or ice cream. 
She will only drink Dr Pepper or Mt Dew...


The great flood we've been experiencing seems to have stopped...
Mike grilled out and we may be eating burgers and hot dogs for a week.  If you're hungry come on by....
Have a happy 4th!!




1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm so glad she is starting to feel better. You've done a mighty job to keep her entertained. It sounds like it is starting to get easier. Before you know it she'll want to be with friends. Have a great holiday. Blessings...Mary