Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rocking Chair

When I think of my grandfather, I picture him sitting in his wooden rocking chair in the living room of his house.  He was very tall and filled up that rocker completely.  My little grandmother had a comfy rocker next to it...I feel warm and cozy when I think about that living room. 
Maybe because the space heater was always on...or the lack of air conditioning running...
But still, I loved it there.  (minus the sweating)

When my granddad died no one else wanted the rocker so I took it.  I couldn't imagine just giving it away...
It wasn't pretty, just dark wood except on the arms where his hands had worn the finish off...

I've rocked two babies in it...

Recently, it's been in the basement until I wanted a chair for my bedroom.  I put it in there but just didn't like it.
I decided to paint it black and see if that helped...

I felt really guilty when I started painting, covering up those worn areas that were from many a day of Granddaddy rocking in it...but while I was painting I started think about him...

He loved to tinker around the house.  He had a little work shop full of old tools and thought he could build anything...

He cut up two of my grandmother's brooms to make a rail up the porch steps when he decided they needed one...she was mad and it wasn't exactly professional looking....he painted it an odd color of green.

He decided to build a little room on the back of the house... I'm not sure it would have been up to code...
and he painted it the same odd green...

He built a wagon with tires off of an old lawn mower to put the trash on or other heavy things to move them around...and again, green....

He decided his old car needed to be painted...he used a can of a paint and a brush... guess what color he chose?

So, as I painted over those arms of that chair I realized he wouldn't mind a bit me painting it, but it he might like it better if it was green...

Wonder if that's where I get the need to make random stuff out of old junk???

Of course, tonight I couldn't find a picture of him in the rocker without digging...so, all you get is that after pictures...



I do like it better painted....

No comments: