Thursday, December 29, 2011

I shouldn't have been throwing around the Christmas vacation quotes

I've been missing for a bit....did you notice?
I wanted to fill you in on all the greatness you've missed...

Christmas was just around the corner, the shopping was done, school was out and life was good...
Good good good.
Until. 
On Dec. 23rd I picked up my mother in law from the airport. 
No, that's not the bad part....
She was excited to come....we were glad to have her....
Life was still good....
But shortly after I picked her Mike called to ask me for a favor... he sounded like he was upset... motioned how bad his day had just gotten, and then he asked me to go meet his dad a truck stop here in Lubbock cause he was lost...
His dad who lives 6 hours away.
His dad who has never visited us. 
Who might "drinking" from Mike's impression...
Who probably couldn't tell my kids apart if he had to...
Who DID NOT call and let us know he was coming to visit two days before Christmas...
Who is divorced from the mother in law I just fetched at the airport...

We always quote Christmas Vacation this time of year but I never dreamed I would ever need the quote:
If I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet in the morning I couldn't be more surprised"...
but yet, it was perfect for this situation...

I went and found him at the truck stop he was parked at...
He followed me home...
I realized then he wouldn't be staying long since he didn't have a suitcase...that was a bit of a relief...
Not that we don't want him here, but timing wasn't good and he NEVER visits...
He did bring gifts though.  So I had to run into the crazy, crowded supercenter to buy him a last min. gift of PJ's (thought he might need those since there was no suitcase) and a gift card...
This all ends well.  The divorced parents behaved, gifts were exchanged, and he was headed home by 9:00 the next morning...

Then, Christmas eve was nice, pleasant, and as we are about to leave for church water starts pouring into the kitchen, laundry room, pantry and basement from a broken water pipe...

Long story short, I'm glad it happened when we were home....
I'm oh so thankful for the company that came out to take care of the water and spent their Christmas eve and part of Christmas day with us!
and for homeowners insurance.

the plastic and cords did a lot for the Christmas decor...

We did make it to church.  It was a nice time to reflect and remember this is all no big deal... I did tell God I'd had enough surprises for one week though.

God is good and Christmas day was wonderful...

We had just enough snow to make it a white Christmas.  Jennifer flew in. 

Santa was good to everyone!





Jennifer worked on making the girls Gator fans...
We had a prime rib dinner that was wonderful and made even better by the fact that with no hot water I couldn't do all the dishes till the next day...


I hope your Christmas was spent with people you expected to be there and was peaceful and dry!

No comments: