Thursday, January 28, 2010

I think maybe I am part Eskimo after all

I was born in Alaska and adopted at birth by my very pale, very Southern parents.  They then sent pictures of their sweet new baby back to their family and the family thought by looking at the pictures of the not so pale, jet black crazy haired baby that they had surely adopted an Eskimo.   We left Alaska when I was a toddler to go back to South Mississippi where I'm not sure if I ever saw a snow flake. 
 
I realize that my favorite memories of places I have lived have been places with a real winter...in Iran and in Colorado Springs I remember the winter as my favorite time!  And now in Lubbock.  Who knew I would ever say that??? 

I heart snowy weather!!!

 I know I won't like it when we have a day to make up at school but I am glad we are having a snow day tomorrow. 
I stopped by the grocery store on the way home for a few things.  I quickly realized that everyone in the area must also be having chili for dinner tonight as the mix I usually buy, or any mix for that matter, was gone from the shelf...
So, Chili from scratch is on the stove, the fireplace is burning, and two wet dogs are asleep by it.  (The dogs also love the snow)


shortly after this picture, my oh so sweet girl was babbling about a problem with getting snow out of a "crack"

Do you see these brand new boots?  Why did she not think to wear the old boots????

"they have to get old sometime" was her reply



gotta love her...



And I'm going to spend my unexpected day off looking for a new job for us in Alaska or Canada or Maine.  Oh, and a new igloo to live in...

3 comments:

Darla said...

I actually live in Snyder Texas, and I found you on Denise Finley's blog list...she and I went to school together, I've known her most of my life. Looks like your girls are having tons of fun with that snow, it hasn't reached us yet, but it's supposedly coming our way. I hope it does...anything for a snow day! hehe, I will be sure to let you know when I make the ranch dressing, I can't wait actually. This blogging stuff has caused me to gain weight, I am constantly inspired to try new recipes!!!

Jennifer Owens said...

You know, I am kind of terrified of the thought of snow. Mostly because I'm too chicken to drive in it and I'm glad that if it does ever snow in San Antonio, that it is a rareity. The last time it did, I was four!

And your girl is smart. She knows that it will just be a matter of time before she gets some new shoes...

Darla said...

I love that burlap wreath...i think i will be making one of those soon!
p.s. the bags on my site are so simple, there were some very easy instructions on the site i linked it to. hope your girls get a chance to have fun with that. i have gotten a little carried away with it but it's for a good cause.