Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's all Pumpkin

I've been a little pumpkin obsessed lately.

Last week I made Pumpkin Granola, I almost burned it... I still ate it anyway....
Over vanilla yogurt for breakfast.  Yummy....

So, today I made a new batch (and almost burned it) to take to my friend I'm going to visit today....
They eat very healthy at their house so it seemed the perfect thing.


This is what the pan looked like when I realized I wanted a picture...

Pumpkin Granola
3 cups rolled oats

3 cups rice crispy
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
¾ tsp. salt
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup applesauce
¼ cup maple syrup or molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried cranberries



Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment

Combine the oats, nuts, salt and spices together and set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, sugar, apple sauce, syrup and vanilla.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until everything is evenly coated.
Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and give the mixture a bit of a toss around the pan before returning to bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Toss the dried cranberries
Store in an airtight container


The left over pumpkin from the can couldn't go to waste so I made Pumpkin Flan to have after dinner tonight.

I had to come back and say, holy great pumpkin that flan was good!!!
You  might need to try this...


Pumpkin Flan

1 can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 3/4 cup sugar separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
2 cups milk (or cream if you want it really rich)

Place 3/4 cup sugar in heavy sauce pan over med. heat, stir constantly till sugar melted and caramel colored.
Pour melted sugar into 6 greased custard cups.
Mix pumpkin, eggs, 1 cup sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and milk till mixed well.  Pour into the 6 custard cups.  Place custard cups in a larger baking dish and add hot water 1/2 way up sides of cups.  Bake at 325 for 50 minutes. 
Place in refrigerator to cool.  Before serving, run knife around edge of custard cup and unmold upside down on plate.

I might have licked the custard cup...


Off to see my friend's sweet little pumpkin...
and look how cute that pumpkin was...

No comments: