Sunday, July 5, 2009

I love a good weekend

Jennifer came in for the weekend. I think mostly for a sewing lesson. She wanted to make baby slings to take to the orphanage on her upcoming mission trip. Us sewing made Kellie decide that she also wanted to learn to sew. We found an easy pattern for the baby sling and I helped with with instruction but Jennifer did great polishing up her sewing skills and has 8 slings to take to the babies. We hope since they carry dogs well they will be OK for the babies. Jennifer didn't want me to publish the picture of her wearing two slings with two dogs... I guess she didn't think that would make her look like the sophisticated, young, single woman that she is...so Kellie gladly posed...


Kellie also informed me that she was going to cook dinner for us. We WERE NOT ALLOWED TO HELP!!! I love that she is wanting to learn to cook...We were ordered to "sit on the bar stools and don't come in the kitchen". Ok, be glad to!
She planned a dinner that she new Jennifer would like. Her menu included Light Fettuccine Alfredo, salad, bread and apple dumplings for dessert. Like I said, she planned things Jennifer would like, not things that were healthy.



I had seen the recipe for the apple dumplings on Pioneer Woman and my sweet friend Jennifer also had the recipe and spoke of her love for it, so I decided we needed to make this while our Jennifer was here. Given the ingredient of Mt. Dew we thought it might me made just for her.


Apple Turnover

2 Granny Smith apples

2 cans crescent rolls

2 sticks butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 teaspoons vanilla

cinnamon

1 can Mountain Dew

Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.



I fully expected to like this recipe...but we all LOVED it. I guess there isn't much with two sticks of butter that we wouldn't love!

We've had fun, seen two movies, ate well, played, fireworks, church and now are enjoying a quiet Sunday afternoon. I love a holiday weekend!

1 comment:

Darla said...

yep, i would say you and me will get along great! apple dumplings made this easy? you are a woman after my own heart. hehe. i read pioneer woman but have never seen this...mmmmm.