Sunday, November 15, 2009

The magic of the Apple Corer Peeler Slicer

I decied we needed to make apple butter this weekend.  I need a hostess gift to take to Mike's aunt's house next weekend...  I've embroidered a crazy turkey on a tea towel and wanted a jar of apple butter to tie it around.

Not to long ago I bought an apple peeler corer thing and pulled it out today for the first time.


My kids couldn't believe the magic of it.  It brought them together. It caused them to take turns.  They thought it was so much fun!

Doesn't she look like she's waiting patiently?

 Katie said "who ever thougth of this was really smart... I'll bet you'll see these on t.v. soon" guess she thought it was a brand new thing that no one else has ever seen! 

They peeled about 8 lb of apples and didn't fight at all. It was amazing.  Then they helped clean up...  I would have invested in the apple peeler much sooner if I had known!

Apple Butter

Apples - enough to fill your slow cooker
1/2 cup vineger
3 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Peel, core and slice enough apples to fill a 4-quart slow cooker or crock pot so full that the lid will not go down over it.

Add vinegar; cook on low for 18 hours.
Add white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
Mix all together and cook 4 more hours. If mash or blend to get consistancy you prefer
Seal in jars.



No comments: