Saturday, November 7, 2009

The other one decided to give it a try

Katie decided she didn't like Kellie cooking with me all time and wanted to make something herself.  The funniest part is this made Kellie furious when she wasn't allowed to help.
Katie wanted to make soft pretzels.  Pretty easy to make, even though there were a few steps.

Soft Pretzels

1 cup water, plus

2 tablespoons water (at 70 to 80 degrees)
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

2 quarts water
1/2 cup baking soda
1 egg
kosher salt

Add yeast to 2 tbsp warm water and let sit till foamy.  Place flour, sugar, 1 cup water and yeast in water in mixing bowl and mix.  Kneed for 5-10 min by hand or with dough hook of mixer. 
Place dough on lightly floured surface and seperate into 8 portions for large pretzels or more for smaller pretzels.  Shape into ropes and shape like pretzel. 
In a large sauce pan bring water and baking soda to a boil.  Drop pretzels two at a time into boiling water for  10 -15 sec. Remove with slotted spoon and place on greased baking sheet.  Beat egg and brush top of pretzels with egg.  sprinkle with salt.  Bake 8 - 10 min till golden brown.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ooh! Those look yummy! I think it's just precious how those two love cooking! Keep it up and they'll never forget it when they get older. My students in my classes are absolutely FLOORED when I tell them I was cooking complete meals for my entire family when I was in the 4th grade. I know...crazy right?