Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The dreaded day, she survived it!

Kellie has needed her tonsils out for a couple of years now.... I scheduled it a few months ago and she has refused to discuss it or acknowledge that it was going to happen. 
We have promised prizes, goodies, favorite treats, anything... nothing made it ok...'DON'T TALK ABOUT IT' was all we got...
So, the dreaded time arrived.  We let her choose where she wanted to eat for her 'last meal'....steak was the decision, but where?  Too many choices...

Japanese won out...

Getting to surgery was awful.
 She cried when I woke her up. 
She cried when I made her get in the car.
 She cried when they took us back to the pre op area. 
She quit crying for a minute when they gave her a new soft ducky friend to go to surg. with her. 

She also rejoiced momentarily when they told us they would start her IV after she went to sleep since she was so nervous...

 She tried to convince the anesthesiologist that I should come back into surg. since I was a nurse... Scary thing is I think he would have let me but I had no desire to do that!

The doctor came out and said everything went well, that her tonsils were enormous and really were needing to come out...

Then the real  bad part began.  The nurse came to get us to go to recovery with her, I'm pretty sure she just needed back up in trying to keep her in the bed.  She was so disoriented and one minute was trying to get out of the bed and the next flopping back down screaming "watarrrr"...
A few hours later we headed home with a very miserable little girl...

The good news (at least for me) is she slept great last night. I have kept her dosed up on the pain medication and Mt. Dew.  She has set up camp in my bed and has some good company to nap with....
Her prize for being so brave...
She needed new bedding and we had been looking... I had Katie put it all one while we were gone and of course she didn't get too excited because she felt so bad when she saw it.  But this morning she asked me to go make her bed since her dad had to sleep in there last night....


No comments: