Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The first of many summer picnics

Tonight we watched the rehearsal for Kellie's play that starts this weekend. 
I packed a picnic and we sat outside and enjoyed the nice weather.  It lasted four hours and I sat on the ground.  I will not forget my chair again.

But the picnic was good.

Katie thought the selection was a little crazy but I liked it...

This was one of the treats from my foodie pen pal and I had planned something much more fitting for it but tonight, it called my name as I was packing the picnic.  So, animal crackers dipped in this was a wonderful treat!  I think I might need to go to Fat Toad Farm...

I also brought us Raspberry Rose Pots de Creme.  I also received rose water in my pen pal box along with this recipe. 

This is the second time I've made it and it is good!  I would have never thought about rose water in a dessert but it gives it a very clean finish, not so much a flavor...
Try it, it's easy, fun to eat and good!

Raspberry Rose Pots de Creme

  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon rose water
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • Pinch fine sea salt
  • 3/4 cup fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries, mashed ( and I strained mine)
  • 4 packets pop rocks for garnish


  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and rose water over medium-low heat until warm, about 4 minutes.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and salt until smooth. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture. Stir in the mashed raspberries.

     Using a ladle, divide the mixture between 4 ramekins. Place the ramekins in an 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes until almost set. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the ramekins to cool while still in the water, about 1 hour.
    Remove the ramekins from the water and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until set.
    Top with Pop Rocks when ready to serve.

    It's a good thing...

    No comments: