Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fresh from the garden

I am loving the weekly baskets of fresh veggies that I am getting from a local farm.

I love that she includes a list of what is in the basket. 
See the big green peppers?  Those are Corno di Toro green peppers.  They are a little sweeter than green chili's but still have a little warmth to them.  I decided to roast them and use them like a relleno and that was a great choice.  They had a great flavor and I wish I had more of them.



One of the other things in the basket this week was "lemon" cucumber. 
They are a heirloom variety with a mild slightly lemon flavor.  I sliced them for part of the picnic for Kellie's show last night.  I also made little mason jar peach cobblers with the white peaches in the basket...
 

It was the last night of Pinocchio and my sweet friend went to keep me company... 



Here is the recipe I used the peppers in tonight.  It was a hit...



Chili Rellenos Casserole

2 (7oz cans) green chili's drained (or 6 fresh large peppers roasted, peeled and sliced)
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 cup shredded Monetary jack cheese
1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar
1 egg plus 2 egg whites
1 (5oz can) Evaporated Milk
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 can tomato sauce or 1 jar taco sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray.
Lay half of the chilies evenly in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with ground beef, half of the Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and cover with remaining chilies. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and flour, and pour over the top of the chilies.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour tomato or taco sauce evenly over the top. Sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and chopped green onion if desired, bake an additional 15 minutes and serve.







No comments: